Monday, March 26, 2012

1974 Oldsmobile Omega to Chevy Nova conversion

Just a quick note to let everyone out there know that I have decided to blog about the Oldsmobile Omega to Chevrolet Nova conversion.

As some of you may know I purchased a 1974 Oldsmobile Omega which is a very similar car to my Dads 1972 Chevrolet Nova.  They are based on the same GM "X-Body" platform.  Oldsmobile Omega have a unique grill and rear end (which I find UGLY compared to the Chevy Novas!)

I plan to blog about the journey and process of restoring a 1974 Oldsmobile Omega to a Chevrolet Nova.

These pictures are exactly how I purchased the car in the late summer of 2011.  I bought it locally in Saskatchewan, Canada for $1800.  The engine and transmission have been COMPLETELY overhauled and are in top notch shape.  It was dyno'ed after the engine and tranny work was done and it is pushing 400 horsepower and over 400 ft/lbs of tourque!!! The person I purchased it from has over $6500 worth off engine and tranny upgrades but wanted the car to go to someone who was going to restore it, and not just rip out the engine.  $1800 seemed like a heck of a deal, and since my Dad is so mechanically inclined I figured it would be a good way to hang out together and work on the car.

My parents had a 1972 Chevrolet Nova when I was a teenager (1995-ish) and my Dad wanted me to buy it from him and use the money I had saved up for my first car to do some body work on it and restore it.  I remember my words were "why would I want to drive a gas guzzling V8 and waste all my money on gas".   I am still quite cheap today, but not quite as cheap I guess :-)

My dad and I are starting the restoration process as we speak.  My plan is to make an informative blog for any other kids out there that are restoring Omegas/Novas because their parents had one when you were a kid :-)

Here are some pics of what she looked like when I bought her.










3 comments:

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

Deanne :)

Lynne said...

This is super exciting to learn that you are going to blog the transition process. This is all very 'close to home ' for me, very touching and meaningful, and I must say that reading your text brought a tear to my eye. I'm super proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Wow your gunna take an 1974 Omega Sport and gunna make it a Nova?? Are you high?? Novas are a dime a dozen.. You got a extreamly rare car there. 1974 Omega sport was 1% of all the omegas made in 1974.